RE: Exceeded Number of Connections

Duane Schaub ( dschaub@terraworld.net )
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:30:30 -0600

How did you do your packet sniffing?

At 10:44 PM 3/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:47 AM 3/2/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>I am back in with a single connection right now. I look under the activity
>>window and see several processes that I am almost sure are not running. It
>>shows logins as probe (??), radius (several processes under this single
>>login, yet no radius is running), sa(my current login) and system with 4
>>processes running. How do I find exactly the number of connections, then
>>how do I terminate them cleanly? Dale??? Kurt????
>>

>We had a hacker trying to get in as user 'probe' for a while. Strangly
>enough it was right after my first couple of posts to this mailing list.
>Usually that's a name used for replication but I did some packet sniffs and
>tracked it to an IP address of another machine that wasn't ours.
>
>Be very careful when you see login attempts you can't account for. Check the
>error log, look at everything.
>
>Geo.

Duane Schaub, President |Terra World, Inc - Connecting The Planet
Terra World, Inc. |Southeast Kansas' Leading Provider
200 Arco Place, Suite 252 |Flat Fee - Never an hourly Charge
Independence, Kansas 67301 |Where Service is Top Priority!
Voice (316) 332-1616 |http://www.terraworld.net
FAX: (316) 332-1451 |dschaub@terraworld.net