RE: Exceeded Number of Connections

emerald@nls.net
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:44:33 -0500

At 11:47 AM 3/2/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I am back in with a single connection right now. I look under the activity
>window and see several processes that I am almost sure are not running. It
>shows logins as probe (??), radius (several processes under this single
>login, yet no radius is running), sa(my current login) and system with 4
>processes running. How do I find exactly the number of connections, then
>how do I terminate them cleanly? Dale??? Kurt????

We had a hacker trying to get in as user 'probe' for a while. Strangly
enough it was right after my first couple of posts to this mailing list.
Usually that's a name used for replication but I did some packet sniffs and
tracked it to an IP address of another machine that wasn't ours.

Be very careful when you see login attempts you can't account for. Check the
error log, look at everything.

Geo.