Re: Can't Invoice Next Term

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:26:11 -0500

At 11:12 PM 2/17/98 +1000, you wrote:

>So we can't automatically send out multiple overdue notices like every other
>business on Earth (businesses that don't use Emerald anyway)? Awww....

Nope -- unlike the telephone company, who if you're "past due" sends you
another invoice with the "balance forward" (past due amount) plus new
charges, but leaves service intact, Emerald 2.2 and prior simply refuses to
so much as GENERATE a new invoice until the last one is paid, and as Dale
said, won't do overlapping invoices, either (so never DECREASE an expiry
date!).

>I am eager to see the major changes that are supposed to be in Emerald 2.5.

Me, too. I have been for some time, since babysitting these paper
invoices has gotten to be a REAL PITA. I've gotten to the point where
I've insisted that those who want to be billed on paper without a credit
card, must go on quarterly payment plans. That seems to solve most of the
"late payment -- no new invoice issues" since I won't carry 'em for two
months... if they paid their last invoice, then they'll get the next
one.... if QUARTERLY. Monthly is too much of a pain, since these types
tend to pay at the LAST possible minute, perhaps the DAY the next monthly
invoice is supposed to be generated... Quarterly users have TWO MONTHS to
lack service before the next bill is due to generate, and most won't stand
for that. ;-)

Dale, note that I didn't call it the "no balance forward bug" below in my
reply.... I think I've gotten better about the attacks now that I've
resigned myself to the fact that Emerald 2.5 might not EVER be made
available, and that I'll simply have to make do with 2.2.... Moving to
quarterly billing on paper in effect solved that problem, with the loss of
a couple of customers who didn't want to pay that far in advance (i.e. they
were living paycheck to paycheck).