Re: NT SAM authentication.

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:22:05 -0700

Ron Svedersky wrote:

> I have a few questions reguarding SAM authentication.
> I am set up to use TEXT only and authenticate correctly when the
> password is listed explicitly.
> When I try to set the password to "WINNT" , I can never get
> authenticated. The password is definitely
> correct. I thought that maybe I needed to be installed on a PDC so I
> did that as well and same results.

It doesn't have to run on a PDC, but it doesn't have to have access
to the domain. If you run it on a standalone server, without the
domain specifier, it will auth locally.

What version of RadiusNT (-v) are you using? Only RadiusNT 2.2
and higher support NT SAM authentication.

> I remember reading an older version of the documentation saying that you
> needed to add 1024 to the
> options registry key; but that is omitted in the documentation that
> comes with version 2.2. I was wondering if

The 1024 is for password replacement.

> anyone has got this working, or if anything needed to be done in
> addition to what the documentation says.
> Do you need to run in ODBC mode? Does it need to be running as a
> service to authenticate through the NT SAM?
> If so, does the service need to run as someone special?

Either mode will work. Just make sure you are running as a user
with sufficient rights to authenticate a user.