Re: RadiusNT 1.16.60 & SteelHead - Wrong NAS address

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:58:32 -0700 ()

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Danny Sinang wrote:

> What do you mean when you say that the accounting is hardly useful ?

It does not send enough accounting information. Specifically,
it is *NOT* RFC copliant in that the accounting is missing many
REQIRED fields, like Acct-Session-ID and such. It also doesn't
include a NAS-Identifier or NAS-IP-Address field (the RFC says
one or the other SHOULD be included). It also doesn't include
a NAS-Port or NAS-Port-Type field (RFC says one or both on
those). Its an MS kludge and its a really bad one.

Because of this, you won't be able to do concurrency control
(one of the main things people want RADIUS support for), you
won't be able to track who is on-line, and billing will be
challenging, at best. Heck, you couldn't even tell whether
two accounting packets where dupes or not, and thats scarey
for billing. Thats what I mean by "hardly useful".

> And what did you mean that only Radius 2.2.21will work with SteelHead ?
> Will Radius 2.2.21 be able to get the complete accounting info from
> SteelHead ?

Again, they went off on their own tangent and used the CHAP
attribute 61 (recently adding to RADIUS, most likely for MS)
that no one else uses. The only reported server that works
with it is Shiva's. If you do to two registry changes as
mentioned here, you can get PAP working. RadiusNT has added
support for attribute 61, which allows native CHAP to work
with SteelHead.

Dale