Re: Hosting Services/Dial-In Accounts

Einars Bindemanis ( einars@parks.lv )
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 01:50:35 +0300

This is how WE set our prices at start:

1) look at your competitors, their prices
2) decide which ones you can compete with your price
3) set the price
4) add some free services (several e-mail boxes, free Web page etc.)
to convince those users working with low-priced ISPs
5) make an ad campaign
6) sit and wait :)
and, do not forget to take care on customer service / free software / etc.

That's how we got here. Of course, it assumes you have competitors.
It is always the best to learn from other's errors - let them be your
competitors, so listen carefully what people are talking.

Good luck !
Einars,
ISP in Latvia.

P.S. cannot suggest you $ numbers because we are in completely different
environment - Europe, after all.

At 02:39 PM 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I am new to the Internet Solutions Provider market any would qenuinely like
some help here. I believe I have done enough testing to go live and am
ready to put my business and residential WEB pages up.

>You can see the by my signature file the software I am running (all
registered!) and the NAS I am using. All of my servers are dual Pentium
Pros (3) with a minimum of 128MB of RAM or more. I currently have a
dedicated T1 to the Internet and one channelized T1 with all 24 pipes turned
up. I am adding a PRI ISDN line in August (US West and God willing), and
all 48 of my digital 33.6 modems are soon to be upgrade to 56Kflex modems.

>What I would like to know is how much smaller ISPs (obviously I'm no
Goliath!) are charging for services such as:

>1) Unlimited dial-in
>2) Limited (say 10 hours per month) dial-in then a premium charge for extra
hours
>3) Web Site hosting
>4) Disk allotment per dial-in user (if any)
>5) Disk allotment per hosted Web site
>6) Other services provided free
>7) Other services provided for a fee
>
>I DO NOT WANT TO START A LEGAL DEBATE like the one that went on about price
fixing a few days ago. I just want a reasonable chance to break into a
tough business! Please email your suggestions, comments or URLs to take a
look at privately at the address below or at mknight@pce-inc.com.

>I know these two lists contain a great wealth of knowledge. Many, many
thanks in advance for those that take the time to respond. By the way, I am
located in Phoenix, AZ in case you are wondering.