Re: NT Routing ?!?!

Randy Martin ( randy@austintx.net )
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:50:48 -0500

At 09:48 AM 7/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>> I am trying to connect a NT Box up to the net on a perm modem
>> connection.
>>
>> The IP's assigned are;
>> 210.8.64.1 was my DUN port.
>> 210.8.64.100 is my Ethernet port (NIC).
>> 210.8.64.0 is my class C (210.8.64/24)
>>
>> The connection works fine, but;
>>
>> 1/. Anything on the internet cannot see the NIC or past it, but can ping
>> and see the DUN port.
>> 2/. Anything on the internal LAN can see the NIC card, but not the DUN
>> port or outside onto the net. The NT Box is also issuign IP's via DHCP
>> on the LAN, so IP is working fine there.
>> > Darryl
>> Darryl@myemail.com.au
>
>Darryl,
>What are you using as software on the NT machine to manage the routing or
>proxying that is being done? If you are trying to connect a network to
>another network via the DUN connection something must play the role of the
>sever inbetween and bridge those two segments.
>
>You can use Wingate, or Spaghetti, or WinProxy, etc. What are you using?
>Just Steelhead or some other routing software?
>
>David Payer
>www.ia-omni.com

All you need to do is set the gateway on all the machines (except the one
connected to the Internet) to point to the LAN IP address of the machine
connected to the Internet. Then set the gateway of that machine's NIC to
point to the IP address of the DUN connection. NT server will just route.
You don't have to do anything else.

Using your IPs from above:

gateway on all machines (except DUN machine) 210.8.64.100
gateway of DUN machine's NIC - 210.8.64.1

Regards,

Randy

Randy Martin Voice: (512) 335-2368
Partner eMail: randy@austintx.net