Re: analog MPP through phone lines

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:27:29 -0400

> From: Rick Kunze <rkunze@colusanet.com>
> As far as I know, you can't do this with Win95. You _can_ however do it
> with NT4.

Actually, YES, you can. Dial-Up Networking 1.2 beta for Windows 95
supports MP (Multilink Protocol) (as well as PPTP) using however many
modems and phone lines your computer can handle. 4 of our users (including
me) use this without ANY problems while dialing up to our Ascend Max 4004.
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/NTserver/info/PPTPdownload.htm
There is also a 128-bit version of the file, though I don't remember
specifically where at MS I found it.

Setting up MP in 95 is a piece of cake!--a lot easier than in NT 4.0. One
nice thing about DUN 1.2 beta is that you can "suspend" (disconnect) any
secondary channel/modem and reconnect/bind it later on, so if you need to
make a phone call and you're using both of your lines, kill your second
channel, make your call, and reconnect the second channel. NT 4.0 can't do
that. If you've used MP with NT 4.0, you know that all of the modems dial
at the same time (give or take a second)--in Win95, the first channel will
dial and get connected, then the second channel dials and gets connected.
That's when they bind together and displays the total connection speed
(62400 or whatever).