Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

Drew ( andreww@ozsurf.net.au )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:57:47 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:51:03 -0400, you wrote:

>Netscape has supported software virtual servers since v2.0 (Fasttrack =
and
>Enterprise servers). However, it isn't the serer that's the problem, =
its
>the BROWSER. If the browser doesn't support the HTTP extensions that =
allow
>the SERVER to serve the correct pages, then someone coming to your =
customer
>at www.acme.com with, say, Netscape 1.1 or MSIE 2.0, will NOT get =
acme.com,
>but YOUR home page, the default for the server.
>
>Customers won't stand for that, so IP shortage be damned, we give our =
web
>hosting clients a static IP for a hardware virtual server.

Yes the browsers that arent http 1.1 compliant screw up, there are two
solutions to this, it hits a page telling them that they have an old
outdated browser and to upgrade, and then lists they virtual sites OR
to assign an individual IP to each customer.

Both have advantages, and I must admit I use a mix of the two,
depending on what the customers site contains (ie advanced features
requiring a late browser, then use option 1, else use option 2)

As the people behind the Internet (we all have our own little bit of
it in our office) we should really be encouraging people to upgrade so
that we can last until IPV6, ie be good net citizens ourselves, not
only that but HTTP 1.1 has some improvements that make things faster.

Ciao

Drew

=46lames to /dev/null ;>