Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

Greg Buffaloe ( greg@buffaloe.com )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:35:22 -0400

Not sure of what version of Apache we were running, but when we tried
virtual webs on one IP it worked... just that when the page was accessed,
the name of the virtual domain that was configged first would appear in the
address line.
The same thing had happened using several nt www servers.

That may have been fixed since then. That is why i used the word 'truly'.

I would love for anyone to share info with me on how to set-up virtual webs
on iis3.0 with one ip.

At 07:00 PM 6/12/97 GMT, you wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:35:33 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>I see this question alot. So here are my thoughts.
>>
>>You can host numerous domains on one ip, but only can 'truly' host one
>>virtual web domain per ip.
>>
>>This is from my experience from unix and nt platforms.
>
>Sorry I have to disagree, using a web server that is http 1.1
>compliant you can have one ip linked to several virtual domains and
>server pages for each.
>
>From memory the Apache Documentation details how to do this.
>(When I was playing with it, it took me less than 1/2 an hour to get
>it operational)
>
>Basically you point the virtual domains at the same IP.
>
>ifconfig and route the IP
>
>configure apache to handle the virutal domains.
>
>When a request comes in the server software actually get the domain
>name from the details provided to it and serves the correct pages.
>
>Ciao
>
>Drew

Greg

Greg Buffaloe