Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:51:03 -0400

Netscape has supported software virtual servers since v2.0 (Fasttrack and
Enterprise servers). However, it isn't the serer that's the problem, its
the BROWSER. If the browser doesn't support the HTTP extensions that allow
the SERVER to serve the correct pages, then someone coming to your customer
at www.acme.com with, say, Netscape 1.1 or MSIE 2.0, will NOT get acme.com,
but YOUR home page, the default for the server.

Customers won't stand for that, so IP shortage be damned, we give our web
hosting clients a static IP for a hardware virtual server.