Re: SQL and RadiusNT

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:39:43 -0700

Mitch Wagers wrote:

> Sam,
>
> Have you read much about SQL Servers? I haven't used SQL for any radius
> authentication related ideas, but to me it sounds like your problem could
> be a combination of your network speed and the power of your SQL Server.
> Recommended machines for SQL Serving functions(even if they don't "serve" a
> database) are around the Dual Pentium Pro 200, 256 to 512mb RAM stage (Quad
> Pentium Pro 200 with 2gig for 2000 users if serving a DB). Once you are
> above the 512mb, you need to go to a quad processor. Those are just
> recommended ranges that have worked well in the networks that I work with.

Wait a minute. Yes, if you have 5000+ users and over 300 ports that
would
be a good idea. I use a Pentium 100 with 64 megs of ram as a lab box
where
I do SQL Transfer to get a copy of our production box and it returns
~250ms
response times. I have no problem with that. It also runs NTMail, Web,
Serv-U, RadiusNT, etc. Memory is one of the biggest issues (I
recommend
128megs and to MAKE SURE SQL SERVER can is confgiured to use it),
but processor isn't the most important factor. Disks can have a more
important role than processors as well (but still memory is #1).

> Now, with 300 users at a time on your network, I would suggest monitoring
> their traffic to see what the average packet size is per second running
> through your hub. If you are on 10baseT, is there anything else running on
> this network? Such as web servers, radius servers, SQL, news servers,
> workstations, printers, etc...Off of our network, we figured up a mix of
> 28.8 and 14.4 from our users and found they were averaging 1.5k/s
> (kilobytes) which is ~12kbps. With 300 dialins, that is 3.6mbps and the
> average 10baseT hub runs 6-7mbps. Add in our news, web, IRC, and internal
> network and we overrun the network capabilities. Packet collisions, error
> control and broadcasts factor up a big part of network speed. This
> probably sounds a little crazy, but it works! Do not, however, get the
> idea that upgrading to an expensive 100baseT Hub will increase your
> performance like you want it to, because it will not last long.
> Personally, you should use a switched network to front end everything and
> on the backside carry a few 100mbps 8-12 port hubs. You increase your
> aggregate bandwidth tremendously and reduce collisions and broadcasts
> across your entire network. For your PM's you could even go with slapping
> 7 of them on a 10baseT 8 Port hub and still have greater BW than before.

This is really starting to get scary, and you are going to worry most
people.
Yes, the topology you are talking about is great, but most likely
overkill.
Just use a decent 10mbp switched hub and you'll be fine. Heck, most NAS
equipment doesn't even have 100mbp intefraces! 10mbps switched is
BETTER than
100mps shared, especially for a larger number of ports.

Also, if RadiusNT/SQL Server are on the same box, then the network isn't
relevant.