Re: Authenticating

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 09:58:57 -0500

At 06:49 AM 4/4/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Hmmm, maybe my question yesterday was too verbose, or too dumb (no replies)
>-- so I'll thin it down to its essence and try again: with RadNT 1.16.60
>already running as a service, is it then necessary to *also* type radius at
>a command prompt (i.e. c:\radius> radius -x15 -A) and keep it open??? Does
>that actually replace the service that had been running, making the original
>net start irrelevant?

Nope -- it won't run that way at all, AFAIK. If you've started it as a
service, then the service OWNS the port, and running it in the DOS box
won't work because the port is not available. I tend to run it NOT as a
service, so I can see the authentication messages in the window. This lets
me know at a quick glance that it is working.

>Since updating, this seems to be the only way we can get authenticating to
>work. We didn't used to need to do this, radius just ran neatly as a
>background startup service, but now it's taking extra manual steps.

Check your Application log -- is the service actually starting? Probably not.