Re: Help! Not authenticating

Ted Olson ( )
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 11:50:54 -0800

At 10:01 AM 4/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 09:46 AM 4/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>We upgraded to 1.16.60 last week, and all has been running fine until
>>yesterday. At that time we noticed that new names just added to the users
>>file were not authenticating, while older names in the list were OK. Nothing
>>was changed at that point that we're aware of. So today, we stopped and
>>restarted radius -- and now no one is getting in. Any ideas?

At 10:01 AM 4/2/97 -0800, you wrote: (David Edwards)

>Did you start Radius with the -b switch? Do you have it in debug mode
>using the -x15 switch? Whats it giving you for results? The admin tab
>only works running it as a service.

Thanks for the fast response, been a busy morning and haven't had time to
reply till now.

We've been running for the last hour or so using -x15 -A ... and all is
working again. It looks like the users file is not being re-read into memory
after each addition of a new user account (or change). So, the current
workaround is to 1) add a new user, then 2) close and restart radius with
the switches above.

So, the heat appears to be off and connections are now OK. BUT, it seems to
now be *required* that we run radius from a command prompt. If I end that
process and close the window, we stop authenticating -- even though radius
is still running as a service (viewed through control panel/services).

Now I'm curious about what is the recommended procedure for starting and
running Radius, and what may have changed? Prior to our recent update to .60
-- like, for the last year or so -- Radius has started with NT as an
automatic service. We've never needed to run it before from a command
prompt. Does something like "net start radius -x15 -A" set those switches in
the registry, so that they load with radius automatically?

Thanks again,

Ted Olson President, System Manager OCSNet
OCS Software, Inc.
Olson Computer Services
Phone 209.781.4123 Fax 209.781.3718 Porterville, CA USA