Re: Emerald, Portmaster2e and USR modems - 56k possible?

Randy Fischer ( randy@fcs.net )
Wed, 28 May 1997 11:35:37 -0700

x2 service DEPENDS on a DIGITAL connection between the ISP and the Phone
company. In order to accomplish that you as the ISP must have ISDN or PRI
or a channalized T1 line from the phone company. The equipment that will
support those types of lines at the ISP's site are NOT regular analog
modems. You CANNOT support incoming x2 connections with ANY analog modem
including USR Couriers or Sportsters.

If you wish to jump on the x2 bandwagon then you have to use USRobotics
solutions. The one that I am familier with is the TOTAL CONTROL with
DIGITAL modems. This solution uses a PRI or T1 and gives 23-24 incoming
lines per T1 connection and will support upto 2 T1's for incoming dialup
connections. USR also has a ISDN solution (I think) that uses BRI lines to
support x2.

Livingston PM3 is also a way to go. This solution does not address x2
directly but is a similar way to setup for the 56k fad. It also requires a
DIGITAL connection to the Phone company.

The x2 / 56flex fight is just beginning. The result should be a standard
that both USR and the REST of the world can support. Choosing USR will
give you x2 now with a promise of the STANDARD later. The advantage is
that many (NOT ALL) existing USR modems can be upgraded to x2. If you use
USR's solution you can give your users 56k now. When the standard is
settled on and everyone adopts it then it will not matter which ISP side
solution you have chosen.

I personally feel that the Livingston solution is much more elegant. It
uses state of the art components and is MUCH smaller, lighter, quieter and
cooler than a USR total control. But to make your existing USR users happy
will take awhile while the standard gets hashed out. Which is why I chose
to use the USR total control for my first device and will use PM3's for all
my expansion.
> From: Franco Nogarin <webmaster@auroranet.nt.ca>
> To: 'NTISP@emerald.iea.com'
> Subject: Emerald, Portmaster2e and USR modems - 56k possible?
> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 1997 10:50 AM
>
> I feel doomed here, I have committed to Emerald, Livingston and USR. now
I want 56k and it seems impossible.