Re: Upgrade from 1 cpu to 2 cpus

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 14 May 1997 04:11:39 -0700

Joe Bissot wrote:

> I want to add a second processor to my main server. It already has a
> dual
> capable motherboard. Under 3.51 adding the second cpu would create an
> instant blue screen of death, you would then have to upgrade
> (reinstall) to
> change the hal. Is 4.0 the same way?

I just recently learned a lot about this subject. I was testing a DUAL
P166,
and put a lab machine's (a single p100) guts into it. Without doing
anything
else, I was able to boot it as a single processor p166. Now the system
parition is a FAT Patition (which later turned out to save my rear).

You have to replace the ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll files with the
respective
files of your SMP motherboard. For mine, this was ntkrnlmp.exe and
halmps.exe. Once I got these files copied to the previous names, the
second processor came right up. I was booted to DOS when I did this.
The uptomp.exe file that comes with the resource kit does this same
thing, just behind you back.