Re: nt permissions

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 14 May 1997 11:51:57 -0700

David Kerr wrote:

> I am looking at security on my box's and was wondering what everyone
> else
> has done about the everyone group. By default nt installation assign's
> everyone full access to winnt dir and rwxd on some files. If
> permissions
> are cumulative shouldn't the everyone group be removed?
>
> I understand that with radius,emerald,su-ftp i don't have to give out
> nt
> accounts but with front page i see no other way.
>
> If someone could point me to a good permissions article i would be
> gratefull.

Assuming you give Domain Users, Domain Admins, or Users permissions,
just REMOVE the Everyone entry. DO NOT SET EVERYONE TO NO PERMISSIONS.
NT uses C3 security which is "least negative, greatest positive" in that
order. If you set Everyone to none, that is the least negative for,
well,
everyone, and therefore, you just locked everyone out of the files.