Re: nt permissions

lists ( lists@terragon.com )
Sat, 17 May 97 11:14:05 -0500

-- [ From: lists * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hi,

> Assuming you give Domain Users, Domain Admins, or Users permissions, just
> REMOVE the Everyone entry. DO NOT SET EVERYONE TO NO PERMISSIONS. NT uses
C3
> security which is "least negative, greatest positive" in that order. If
you
> set Everyone to none, that is the least negative for, well, everyone, and
> therefore, you just locked everyone out of the files.

Maybe this is related to a problem I have been having. I'm using WFTPD for
my FTP server and have IIS 3.0 on the same machine. People have been able
to FTP new files over to their site, but if they try to replace or delete
and existing file, they get a 550 error saying that share.exe may not be
loaded or the file is locked by another process. At first I thought the
file was being accessed by the web server, but since then I've seen this
happen on web sites that are unknown to the public.

I had set the 'Everyone' group to 'read-only' and since then a couple other
settings. Yesterday I tried to delete a file on the server for a customer
(since they couldn't overwrite it via FTP) and I got an error saying I
couldn't do it. PANIC! I thought being logged in as the administrator
would give me full access to everything. I went back to the 'wwwroot'
directory and changed all the permissions back to full access for all groups
with access hoping that it would temporarily at least give me the power to
delete the file. To my surprise, after changing the permissions on the
directory, the file I had tried to delete was gone. I'm completely confused
by this.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Lance