Re: NT 4.0 doesn't see upgraded RAM

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:12:20 -0500

At 03:54 PM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anyone have any idea why an Intel-based NT 4.0 SP2 (with the various
>hot-fixes) won't see the RAM I just added to the machine? This dual
>Pentium-100 started with 64 MB and I upgraded it to 128, but NT still only
>sees 64 megs. The BIOS sees the 128 megs just fine, but NT doesn't. By
>the way, the kernel hot-fix was installed for dual-processor mode...
>
>Any ideas why this might be happening?

I answered this before. It is a bug in the motherboard/BIOS you're using.
The POST test is using ONE method to determine the amount of RAM, and then
NT is calling another interrupt during the blue-screen count. That OTHER
one that NT uses is BUGGY in your BIOS. The only way out is a new
motherboard.

Packard Bell's Pentiums are known to have this bug in many models in the
P-100 and P-120 range. I swore off PB's after experiencing this with them,
and have not encountered it since.