Re: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:15:57 -0500

At 06:16 PM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Yeah, but seriously, has anyone found a limit? In the UNIX world,
>limits range from about 100 to over 10,000 addresses (depending on who's
>UNIX you are using) while maintaining reasonable performance. There are
>ISPs trying to web farm to over 5000 unique IP addresses, so 80 is just
>the start.

The limit seems to be a function of the driver software and the RAM on the
card itself. Some hold more than others. Some quit at 25, others can take
up to 250 and more. I've had good luck with SMC's Ultra series for
10-Base-T, and Intel's Fast Ethernet Intellicards, and bad luck with Linksys.