Re: permanent dialups

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:52:34 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> If a user has a dedicated IP address (no problem) and remains dialed up
> 24/7, is there some way that they will automatically be disconnected by
> RadiusNT if the expiration date is reached and a payment hasn't been
> received yet?

Currently, no. We are looking into some situations where RadiusNT will
include a Session-Timeout for logins. This would probably only be if
they
logged in within a day or two of their expiration.

> If not, the user could dial up today, his account could expire in a week,
> and if a payment hasn't been received by that date, his dialup session is
> unaffected. He may not be able to dial back up, but there's nothing
> preventing him from staying online past the expiration date (other than
> line noise or whatever).

Which is a valid concern. However, the RADIUS protocol only addresses
Client (NAS) to server requests. The Ascend does have a reverse RADIUS
type protocol that we may be adding support for in the future.

> Are there any solutions to this or am I going to have to just periodically
> police the account, manually?
>
> Here are a couple Ascend-Disconnect-Causes that might play a role in this:
> 150 requestByRadiusClient disconnect requested by a RADIUS
> client
> 151 localAdmin disconnect requested by the local
> administrator

150 is the Reverse RADIUS request I mentioned above.

151 is via the admin console on the Max.