Re: Emerald management

Jeffrey Betts ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:18:40 -0800

Greg

You have some legitamate concerns but
I don't think any of them will be solved anytime
soon. I have come to the conclusion that emerald
will allways be a work in progress. I came to this
conclusion two months ago. It has functioned
for me within the expactations I have had for it
very well. Now if we could get the credit card
funtions to work it would be great :) Anyway
Dale has done a great job if you consider all
the things he has to do I think just dealing with
this list is a job in itself. So untill someone comes
up with a competing product I don't think there
will be any way Computech will put the type of
manpower you want on this product.Competition
seems to wake people up at times.

Jeff Betts
Jbetts@ccaccess.net

----------
> From: Greg Boehnlein <damin@seka.nacs.net>
> To: emerald@emerald.iea.com
> Cc: Brian Coburn <brianc@iea.com>
> Subject: Re: Emerald management
> Date: Monday, March 10, 1997 6:27 PM
>
> On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Marc Elbirt wrote:
>
> > Dale:
> >
> > [deleted]
> >
> > This message is also directed to Computech's management. Although
Emerald
> > is visionary and its utility unquestionable, unless you dedicate more
> > resources to it and to your customers, we will grow continously more
> > unhappy. Please do something; my business depends on you.
>
> I would just like to say that there are many points in the last message
> that I agree with. It is great that we can talk to Dale on the list. It
is
> wonderful that we can call him and get questions answered. It is nice
that
> the software has a vision and someone that knows it intimately.
>
> What happens if Dale becomes incapacitated? (Stress induced holiday for
> example..) Who will manage the source code? Who will answer the technical
> support questions? Who will address the fixing of the "Creeping
Featurism"
> bugs that Emerald is a victim of?
>
> In a private mail to Dale, I addressed these very same issues. I feel
that
> he is overworked, and spread far to thin between supporting the products
> and writing the code for it.
>
> As an example, let me point out the specific problems that I see with
> Emerald...
>
> 1. Lack of documentation. I can't really hand anything out to my Staff to
> usr as a Reference on a Day to Day operational basis. The
documentation
> that exists is out of date, wrong or just plain incomplete. When we
> purchase a product such as Emerald, for the price we pay for it, we
> expect to have some sort of documentation to RTFM. I can't tell my
> staff to "E-mail to Dale". Heck, we paid for a Support Contract and
> I'm not quite sure what that gives us, but I'd sure love to KNOW!
Heck,