Re: [Emerald] Radius Exploit

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:34:38 -0800

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Subject: Re: [Emerald] Radius Exploit
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:34:38 -0800

> > The RadiusNT/X cache should prevent this from consuming all
> > resources, allowing it to respond to other requests as well.
>
> > Have you ever seen a Max TNT with a DS3 (700+ lines) have the DS3
> > bounced?
>
> As a matter of fact I've seen that exact thing happen and our radiusNT
> server did seem to handle the load without any problem that I could see.
>
> However the cache you mentioned above, is that part of RadiusNT 2.5.214 or
> is this something you put into the new radius? Is there much difference
> between the two with regard to this sort of issue?

The Cache is basically designed to prevent excess database hits. RadiusNT
2.5 doesn't have a cache and hits the DB on each request. RadiusNT 3.0 and
higher have the cache and will not hit the db on each request. There are
different paramters you can tune for how often to re-check the DB and such
to make the cache perform to your requirements and needs, as well.

Dale E. Reed Jr. Emerald and RadiusNT/X
IEA Software, Inc. www.iea-software.com

.