Re: [Emerald] expanding dial-up

Josh Hillman (admin-maillist@talstar.com)
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:50:56 -0400

From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Subject: Re: [Emerald] expanding dial-up
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:50:56 -0400

From: "Bond, Brad" <Brad@FasTraxs.net>
> I need some advice on putting a dial-up number in another town. We were
> wanting to put a number in in a town that can already call us locally,
> but we are wanting that number for the places that can call it locally.
> Is there some type of phone line that can be forwarded to my main
> number? I've already found out that a regular phone line with call
> forwarding doesn't work after 2 connections at one time it issues a
> busy. At this time I don't want to put in PRI lines and do a backhaul
> to my main POP.

Yes, this can be done--we do it with one area near us. If your main POP is
in city, A (555-1111), and the remote one is in city, B (555-2222), call the
phone company and have them set up a forwarder so that 555-2222 forwards to
555-1111. You will have to specify the number of channels and each channel
will have some cost associated with it since each one essentially acts as
another line. For each person that's online out there at any given time,
you'd need a channel. So a 10 channel forwarder would support 10
simultaneous dial-up users. The 11th would get a busy signal even if
555-1111 is not yet busy. You can upgrade the number of channels at any
time by contacting the phone company.

Josh

.