Re: [Emerald] Running Update Database results in lost operators

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:24:01 -0800

David Routh wrote:

> >You should *NOT* run the update database option except on a pre 2.5
> >database, once. Updating a 2.5 database is not a good idea.
>
> OK, I'll be the stupid one here... Why is it an option in the DB
> maintenance screen... When we first went to Emerald (2.5, new install)
> about 6 months ago I remember running this script... That was the ONLY way
> I could clear ghost operators from the DB...

The Operators table changed between 2.2 and 2.5. Therefore, when you
update your db, it drops/recreated the operators table. The latest
Emerald
admin should fix the ghost operator problem.

> The instructions on the DB maintenance screen say you can run the script
> multiple times if your upgrading to a newer version of Emerald... let's
> see... we started with .2xx and now we're on .3xx...

Upgrading means major/minor versions, not patches. IE from 2.2 to 2.5,
not 2.5.278 to 2.5.300.

> I'd say the screen needs to be changed... I can understand having the
> script but can't it be left off the list as a choice.

I don't follow?

> Since I did run this script what damage has been done to the Emerald DB...
> I realize it's working (Emerald) but why shouldn't the script be run on a
> 2.5 DB.

Because its designed to bring a 2.2 database up to par on a 2.5. It
probably will not hurt anything, but you could loose data (like the
Operators table that gets re-created). I don't know of any major
data loses though (like it doesn't do anything to your mbr tables
except add additional columns, if they don't exist).