Re: [Emerald] Serv-U

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:20:45 -0500

From: PowerNet <psc5@powersupply.net>
>We just started using Serv-U authenticating against the Emerald database.
>We are running IIS4 Web Server and used to run FTP as well.
>
>I am having some users complaining about being able to upload their pages.
Most have www addresses and some have disk quotas other than what Emerald
has set for default.

>I need to know:
>1. how to change disk quotas for specific users?

Emerald 2.5.322 (and maybe .320) now display the directory limits ("Size
Limit") in each service, measured in kB. In other words, if the user should
have 10 megs, enter in 10240, for 5 megs enter 5120. I see a bunch of empty
ones in our system, but I think that's because there's no "Directory" listed
for those people. We only set them up if requested--that way we don't have
thousands of empty directories all over the place.

If you want to see what all of your active quotas are presently set for
(along with some other info), run the following script (note that the quota
is shown in MB rather than kB):

select Login, HomeDir, HomeDirLimit=homedirlimit/1024
from subaccounts sa, masteraccounts ma
where ma.customerid=sa.customerid
and ma.active=1
and sa.active=1
and homedir != ''
and login != null

union

select shell, homedir, homedirlimit=homedirlimit/1024
from subaccounts sa, masteraccounts ma
where ma.customerid=sa.customerid
and ma.active=1
and sa.active=1
and homedir != ''
and shell != null
order by homedir

>2. how to set up specific emerald users, to be able to access multiple
directories with the same user name and password?

To my knowledge, there's no way of doing this. I guess the thinking would
be, "ok, you're logged in; how am I (the FTP server) supposed to know which
directory to put you in if you have multiple options?". If you make those
various directories subdirectories of something else (called "parent" for
example), you could direct the user to that directory and from there, they
could access the subdirectories. We have one customer that does something
like this. The instructor wants to be able to get into all of the students'
directories, but each student should only have access to his/her directory.
So, it's set up like this:
teacher --> \\server\users\parentdirectoryname
student --> \\server\users\studentdirectoryname
On the web, each student's directory would be referenced as
http://users.servername/parentdirectoryname/studentdirectoryname
whereas most of our users (excluding domains) would be referenced like
\\server\users\username (http://users.servername/username)

>3. How will serv-u affect MS Frontpage Extensions and directory
permissions?

There's no relationship between them. FrontPage Extensions use HTTP to
interact with the site for modifications. By allowing FTP access into one
of these areas, you're simply offering the customer an alternative way of
making changes in case they don't feel like using FrontPage to do it at that
time.

Serv-U FTP works fine in conjunction with IIS4 FTP, so long as each service
doesn't have conflicting IPs/ports. We have 3 (1 anonymous and 2 internal)
IIS FTP services running on our webserver along with Serv-U (for all of our
users). Each service has specific IPs assigned to them so that they don't
interfere with eachother. I wrote up some info on this:
http://www.iea-software.com/lists/emerald/00000497.htm

Josh