Re: [Emerald] Serv-U

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:13:01 -0500

From: PowerNet <psc5@powersupply.net>
>I am a little confused on running multiple ftp programs.
>Do I then need to make changes to DNS?

I guess that depends on how you have things set.
Our anonymous FTP is ftp.talstar.com (199.44.194.3) and is handled by IIS4.
Our users' FTP is users.talstar.com (or ftp.mycompany.com, if they have a
virtually hosted domain) and that's 199.44.194.200. This is handled by
Serv-U. The other two FTP services we have (IIS4) are associated with
different DNS names and IPs and are used by a few people internally for a
couple of our websites. So, in our case, our DNS settings are like:

ftp.talstar.com A 199.44.194.202
users.talstar.com A 199.44.194.200
ftp.somedomain.com CNAME users.talstar.com
ftp.whatever.net CNAME users.talstar.com

>If I have a customer that has a www hosted on the same server and I want
them to be able to use the MS Frontpage publish feature, how do I set that
up and how does it work?

If you're using FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions, this is set up via the
Internet Service Manager on the server itself. I'm guessing there's a way
to set these up via ISM on a workstation, though I can't figure out how to
get the FP Extensions "snap-in" installed on anything but the server itself.
Anyway, using the ISM on the server, right-click on whatever "web" needs FP
extensions installed on it and choose "Task --> Configure Server
Extensions". From there, I don't remember the details. I found the info on
this at one of the following URLs:
http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/serk/inwindow.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/languages/fp/2000/winfpse.asp
http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/serk

>Also, you are saying that to eliminate having serveral empty folders you do
not have emerald set up a directory for every user. How? I just went
through that with IEA not too long ago and it supposedly will create a dir
for every new user.

In Emerald Admin (Client / FTP), I have "Default Dir" set to nothing and
"Size Limit" set to 5. That way, user directories are never created UNLESS
someone manually types in "\\server\users\username" or
"\\server\domains\domainname" for the individual service.

Josh