Re: [NTISP] DNS question, I think

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Sun, 16 May 1999 09:00:20 -0400

You could also make an "A" record that points "www" to the IP address =
directly, instead of making a CNAME record for "www," as Josh suggested. =
I'm not sure if one method is better than the other. =20

Adam =20
-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Hillman <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: Sunday, May 16, 1999 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [NTISP] DNS question, I think

From: David Alvarez <david@centralweb.net>
>I am using MS DNS and IIS 4 on Windows NT (duh!) SP 4 and I am trying =
>setup so websites can be access by both "www.domain.com" and =
"domain.com".
>am betting is DNS related and I have tried everything that seemed =
logical,
>but no results. Any ideas?

In DNS, for the "domain.com" zone, create an "A" record (excluding a
hostname) and set it for whatever IP you need it assigned to. Then, in =
the
same zone, create a "CNAME" record that points the "www" hostname to
"domain.com". That's it. Nothing needs to be done in your =
reverse-lookup
zone (someone mentioned something about it earlier).

It doesn't matter how you have IIS set up (as far as a name/description
goes)--IIS "webs" are based on IP address by default anyway.

Josh