Re: [NTISP] how do they do this?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sun, 02 May 1999 17:53:20 -0700

David Payer wrote:

> I recall someone posting on this before but I didn't save it. Could the
> original poster put their message up again?
>
> I want to know how this type of URL works (and therefore how you generate the
> number to be used)
>
> http://3513713141/dental.htm
>
> It is ingenious for you can't readily tell the IP address of the site to check
> up on it.

An IP is nothing more than a 32 BIT number. In programmatic since,
thats
all programs care about. For ease of human intervention, an IP address
is typically shown by its 4 8bit numbers (dot notation). Each 8 bits is
a number from 0-255.

To convert from a dot notation to a decimal, covert each octet to
hex form (hint, use Calculator in Scientific format) and then put
them together into an eight digit hex number. Then finally use
Calc again to convert the 8 digit hex to a decimal number and thats
what you use.

Example:

205.1.2.3 = CD.01.02.03 = CD010203 = 3439395331

Your example shows:

3513713141 = D16F01F5 = 209.111.01.245