Re: [NTISP] E-mail solutions

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:25:46 -0500

Another possibility might be to set up a webmail service so that your =
travelling users can use their browsers to send and receive email via a =
web interface. Webmail circumvents the problem of relaying mail from =
selected IP addresses, as the user is using your mail server directly =
via the web interface. =20

There are some webmail packages which integrate with third-party mail =
servers. The one I am familiar with is Emurl, made by Seattle Labs. =
(www.seattlelabs.com). You may want to inquire about webmail packages =
which other ISP's endorse, if that seems like the way to go for you.

Regards,
Adam =20
-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Lowe <slowe@universalcom.net>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: Thursday, March 25, 1999 9:41 PM
Subject: [NTISP] E-mail solutions

I am really at my wits end with e-mail. We run NTMail for our users, and =
prevent relay and other unauthorized use, we selectively permit e-mail =
to be
sent from certain ip ranges. This is fine until a user travels and want =
send e-mail while logged into another service which issues an ip foreign =
my "approved" range.

Any experiences with this arrangement? I am about ready to set up =
another
server to authenticate outgoing e-mail by password, but hate to go to =
this
expense for a few clients. At the same time, I hate to subject the rest =
of
the user database to having to do this, thus the separate server.

We've been used for e-mail relay in the past, and I really don't want =
this
problem again.

TIA.

Samuel S. Lowe