Re: [NTISP] Bandwith considerations

pheller ( pheller@banet.net )
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:31:45 -0500 (EST)

At my previous job (prior to GTE) we were running an entirely NT ISP.
They are now at about 900 dialups in 7 POPS and they have an aggregate
bandwidth of 6mbps. They are currently pursuing adding 2xT1 service to
one of the pops. 900 lines / 6 T1 = 150 dialups per T1. I'm no longer
involved with their network, but when I left, they were looking at ~ 44%
utilization on each T1 (+ or - depending on which routes were preferred
over others due to BGP metrics).

I'd say you could go as high as 175 dialups per T1. You do want to
keep in mind that other traffic is likely to transit the link though.
You'll likely be sucking down a news feed, hosting web sites, and of
course, there will be those customers that host warez and other bandwidth
intensive garbage, and of course, there will be those on you LAN that love
the speed. :-)

If I can be of any further help, please say so.

Regards,
Phil

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Terry Bomersbach wrote:

> Gotta agree on the note about bandwidth, we have 144 lines and the aggregate
> bandwidth during peak never sneaks over 512K on a T1. The average is about
> 480K. Of course, I'm not sure what the effect would be on performance
> pushing more users through the same pipe. And of course another factor is
> wheither the connections are utilizing local resources or resources on the
> net. I would guess that about 30% of our users are only there for e-mail.
>

> For more information about this list, including removal,
> see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html

Phillip Heller GTE Internetworking
Network Operations Center - Powered by BBN -
800-632-7638 AS1 and proud of it.
finger pheller@pretender.dyndns.com
**Affiliation for association not representation**

see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html