Re: [NTISP] Post.Office

Christian Schmit ( cschmit@vo.lu )
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:15:46 +0100

Hi,

Very good idea. We use Postoffice since version 2.0 and have always
had problems that mail clients hang while downloading their email.
Outlook Express was is used by the client in 90% of all email problems.

On the portmaster-users (Livingston) mailing list was an interesting
discussion about Outlook and E-Mail problems some weeks ago.
Many ISP's seem to have problems with Outlook.(you can find an
index here: www.nexial.com)

Our main concerns regarding Post-Office are:

- that outlook should be able to download mails from the server without
hanging or bringing up an error. Apparently other email servers have not
this problem with exactly the same emails!! Sometimes also Netscape
and Eudora have these problems but only on rare occasions.

- a leading email server on the Internet MUST support IMAP4 these days!

- The price, which I am willing to pay if everything works as it should
which is apparently not the case.

- The development of this product is VERY slow. But I assume they
want to do this, so they can again charge a lot of money for updates
one year later.

- finally a webinterface for reading and writing emails would be nice
(we use dmailweb in the meantime so this is not very important for
us)

Good luck for your phone call to software.com. For the records that you
can give them a list of ISP's which have complaints we are registered
under the company Visual Online Sarl with them.

please keep us informed,
Christian