Re: [NTISP] Moving from the NT SAM

Richard Fink ( rfink@worldpassage.net )
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 19:19:10 -0800

At 05:40 PM 3/7/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Richard Fink wrote:
>>
>> We are in a very similar situation... we are leaving the NT RAS
>> environment to a Radius environment. How the heck do we pull the
>> Username AND Passwors from the NT SAM for use with Radius ?
>
>You can use many of the normal utilities to extract the usernames
>from the NT SAM. Then you can import all of those into a RadiusNT
>database with WINNT as the password and the password replace option.
>
>Eventually you can get a full userlist in the database without
>causing any disruption of your service (or your users ever knowing).

How does that work Dale ? Getting the Userlist is no problem. But the NT Passwords are. What does RadiusNT do here ? Does it just take the "given" password from the user and then "make that" the Radius password ?

Probably not a problem, but it seems like a non-customer user could get one free chance to get in, in that case, thereby also mucking the real users real password.

I'll bet you've got it figured out better than that... I'd like to understand it though.

-Ric

Richard Fink Tel: 415 381-0215
WorldPassage Fax: 415 381-0822
P.O.Box 2339 rfink@worldpassage.net
Mill Valley, CA 94942 http://www.worldpassage.net
WorldPassage is a communications service and Internet Service
Provider owned and operated by RainTree Computer Systems, Inc.

see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html