Re: [NTISP] cable modems

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:38:06 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01BE616B.B6B4CDD0

I'm worried too, but I wonder if cable companies will be able to give =
good technical support to their Internet customers...alot of our =
customers stick with us because we help them to use the service =
(configure their browsers and email programs, for example). =20

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Atkins <jatkins@netshoppe.net>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: Friday, February 26, 1999 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: [NTISP] cable modems
=20
I'm not worried excessively--this is why--
=20
1. In my area (rural) cable is coming-but because it's not a metro =
area I expect the cost to be at least double what we offer access for. =
(Maybe more)
2. Maybe half (more likely much less like 10-15%) of the area will =
be loop qualified for it (and xDSL as well)
3. Less secure than standard dial-up.
=20
Now I know I'll lose my speed demons (gamers) and some of my line =
campers (not overly unhappy about that) so that will mean that I'll not =
need to add more gear, but grandma who sends e-mail 3x a week is not =
going to pay more for a cable modem or cable services.
=20
The worst I worry about is losing some business connections but I =
already have in place a *good* strategy because I can offer things like =
dedicated IP addressing etc.
=20
Jim
=20
=20
=20
=20
Is anyone out there worried about cable modems taking their =
dial-up business? If not, why? I'm really starting to get worried =
about lossing customers to it.
=20
What can we do to prevent customer loss.
=20
Sincerely
C. Smith

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01BE616B.B6B4CDD0

I'm worried too, but I wonder if cable companies =will be able=20to give good technical support to their Internet customers...alot of our =customers stick with us because we help them to use the service =(configure their=20browsers and email programs, for example).

-----Original =Message-----
From:=20 Jim Atkins <jatkins@netshoppe.net>
To:=20 ntisp@iea-software.com=20 <ntisp@iea-software.com>
=Date:=20 Friday, February 26, 1999 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: [NTISP] =cable=20 modems

I'm not worried excessively--this is =why--

1. In my area (rural) cable is coming-but =because it's not=20 a metro area I expect the cost to be at least double what we offer =access=20 for. (Maybe more)
2. Maybe half (more likely much less like =10-15%) of the=20 area will be loop qualified for it (and xDSL as well)
3. Less secure than standard =dial-up.

Now I know I'll lose my speed demons (gamers) =and some of=20 my line campers (not overly unhappy about that) so that will mean =that I'll=20 not need to add more gear, but grandma who sends e-mail 3x a week is =not=20 going to pay more for a cable modem or cable services.

The worst I worry about is losing some business=20 connections but I already have in place a *good* strategy because I =can=20 offer things like dedicated IP addressing etc.

Jim

Is anyone out there worried about cable =modems taking=20 their dial-up business?  If not, why?  I'm really =starting to=20 get worried about lossing customers to it.