Re: [NTISP] Playing with fire????

Brian Lube ( brian@mpinet.net )
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:35:56 -0500

I'd use mrtg (http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html).
We've been using it for close to a year, and it shows us real good trends.
Mind you this is not completely accurate (but neither is the callsonline
table). If you really wanted to base it on Radius what you could do is
have something every x minutes run a insert into script like

insert into stats(date, callvolume) values (getdate(), (select
count(nasport) from callsonline where acctstatustype=1))

That's just off the top of my head though... Other ideas would be to put a
trigger on the calls table based on accounting packets coming in to
increment or decrement a value that you are keeping logged... would take up
a bit of CPU though.

The problem with the last two options is then you have to create trendlines
and graphs and all that jazz manually. MRTG makes graphs and web pages
from the data it collects. Less manual labor from what I've seen...

Hope this helps!

--bl

At 11:23 AM 2/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I think I may be playing with fire here...
>
>Is there a way to modify the SQL statement Radius uses when it inserts call
>history in the CALLS table?
>
>I'm really looking for a way to get a 24hour picture of our usage patterns
>(so I know what our peak times are instead of guessing). The best way I can
>think of is to add an additional field in the calls table which holds a
>count of nasports in use from the callsonline table. I'm thinking its the
>best way to get an accurate snapshot of what's going on at all times. Once
>the count is put in the calls table I can pretty much do anything with it
>(run 24hr graphs that shows usage vs time, monthly usage patterns etc.)
>
>If anyone has a better way please let me know.
>
>Thanks
>Robb Bryn
>

>For more information about this list, including removal,
>see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html

Brian Lube
System Administrator
MPInet