Re: Concurrancy Control

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:52:52 -0700

Mark Ewer wrote:

> OK, I have been looking around in the message base and found a BUNCH of
> information about Concurrency Control. However, I have also found some
> conflicting information. One message said that MANUAL CALLS UPDATE has to
> be on and another said that it should not be enabled if you use EMERALD.

Emerald customers have a trigger in their SQL Server that does the
equivalent of the Manual Calls Update. Therefore, if you do enable the
manual calls update in RadiusNT, it will update it twice. That probably
wouldn't cause any issues, just not optimal.

> Here are the things that must be met:
>
> 1. You must enter all your servers in the Server Ports table.
>
> Did you mean SERVERS for this item? If that is the case, we do have a
> record for each of our MAX's and an entry for LOCALHOST.

Yes.

> 2. You must enter each port of each server in the ServerPorts table
> (the two tables are linked via the ServerID field).
>
> Our ServerPorts table has a BUNCH of records in it. It does appear to have
> a record for each port on each MAX.

RadiusNT/Emerald will only update the entries (which is what the
callsonline is based on) in the ServerPorts table, it will not create
them. For a MAX, you must have both the async (20xxx) and the sync
(10xxx)
entries in there.

> 3. You must have accounting working and RadiusNT storing accounting records
> in the calls table.
>
> We do have accounting in the calls table. However, we have never put this
> to the test because we do not sell any accounts that are not unlimited
> access.

Just meaning the start records must be received (AcctStatusType=1).

> 4. You must have either manual calls update enabled or a trigger installed
> on the calls table to update the serverports table. This is the key
> to concurrency working. The trigger or manual calls update will keep a
> running list of users on-line in the serverports table. This table is
> what RadiusNT will check to see if someone is on-line (and how many
> times).
>
> I think this is what is catching us. I saw another message in the message
> base that said if you use EMERALD that you do not need the MANUAL CALLS
> UPDATE. Which would be better? or easier? Can you give me a sample of the
> SQL statement to create the trigger that you are referring to?

Its in the insttrig.sql script:

ftp://ftp.iea-software.com/Emerald/beta/insttrig.sql

You can always enable the Manual Calls Update to see if that corrects
the problem (then you know you have a trigger issue). I recommend
using the trigger pointed to above, though.

You should also be able to see the users in the Calls Online
itself in Emerald.