Re: Dumb Question ... BUT....

Yolanda ( (no email) )
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:28:29 -0500

the "localhost" is a loopback address for connecting to the current machine
127.0.0.1 is used exclusively for this purpose on each machine.

as far as setting go you will probably have separate zone files for each
domain name you are hosting. A sample from a zone file is below:

;
; Zone records
;

@ IN A 208.236.182.2
@ IN MX 10 mail
host01 IN A 208.236.182.20
host02 IN A 208.236.182.21
host03 IN A 208.236.182.22

each host within the domain is listed here. I'm using MS DNS and it sets
up the entries for me. don't forget that hosts such as www,ftp,or mail that
may work off the same ip may be referenced with a CNAME entry. Also,
if your mail server is now located on a separate server don't forget to
change
any IP address if necessary

if you want to brush up on DNS services the bible is:
"DNS and BIND" by Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu
it's published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc
.... it spends a lot of time on unix flavors but it gets to the nitty gritty.