RE: [RadiusNT] Re: RadiusNT Digest

Nathan Haywood ( nhaywood@whro.org )
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:44:53 -0400

A little off-topic, I know, but for those of you who need to monitor
customer traffic with dedicated/non-dialup accounts, take a look at:
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html

It would work best if each customer is assigned to a certain port on
your NAS, but this is what we use to monitor traffic patterns on all our
routers here.

-----Original Message-----
From: radiusnt-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:radiusnt-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Edsonet
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 1:39 PM
To: radiusnt@iea-software.com
Subject: [RadiusNT] Re: RadiusNT Digest

I don't know of any good way of stopping this, because as far as your
system is concerned, the traffic is coming from one single IP address.
You
could monitor a suspected abuse using a network monitor, but that is
very
labour intensive. On dial-up accounts, you can implement inactivity
timeouts, maximum session timeouts, and total useage limits. For
example,
we have the following implemented:

inactivity timeout - 30 minutes
maximum session timeout - 5 hours
maximum useage - 50 hrs/week

The most useful one, and the one that an abuser will probably run afoul
of,
is the maximum useage. We offer unlimited access, but we took care to
define unlimited access as being distinct from unlimited time. It was
not
an easy decision and one that we laboured long and hard with before
implementing. It reduced the number of abusers from over 3% to less than
1%.

Since we now offer High Speed Internet options that do not require a
dial-up connection (wireless & DSL), the problem has moved from one to
the
other. These dedicated connections can very quickly consume your
available
bandwidth. For these services we have imposed a maximum 5 GB/Month
limit.
Customers who subscribe and pay for a LAN connection get this limit
adjusted upwards. Measuring that useage is a different problem. Both the
wireless and DSL systems support SNMP, and we are currently working on a
Manager program that will periodically poll all the connections and log
a database.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro