Re: [RadiusNT] Any Benchmark?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 14:37:04 -0700

Jose Ignacio Cabaņas wrote:

> > The performance of RadiusNT 2.5 against a DB is almost completely
> > related to the speed of the DB. RadiusNT comes with a tool (radlogin)
> > that you can use to benchmark/test the avg auth and accounting times
> > of your server.
> >
> > What kind of performance are you looking for? The upcoming RadiusNT
> > 3.0 is quite a bit more "intelligent" than 2.5, and does smart
> > caching to achieve higher performance.
>
> I want to get the max calls per second (approx.) that RadiusNT can process
> (using a local DB, like Oracle, of 1K-10K-100K-500K users)

How many processors? How Much Memory? What kinda disks? Auth and
Accounting or just one?

There are so many factors, that its impossible to tell. I've
seen a pair of RadiusNT servers using MSSQL7 handle 100K, no problem.

Also, # of users is really meaningless to RADIUS. What really
matters is the number of ports and active callers. For example,
if you have 100 customers who all call at night, that will be
higher than having 50 customers that call during the day, and
50 that call at night.