Re: [RadiusNT] Debug mode safe when live ?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:11:17 -0700

David Chapman wrote:

> Running latest RadiusNT with it started as an NT service. A live environment
> with maybe 20 requests per second.
>
> Is it safe to run up radius -x15 from a command prompt ?
>
> It appears to work OK, ie looking at task manager it hasn't started a second
> copy and in the command prompt window you can see the requests coming
> through and so can work out what's happening. When you have finished you can
> control C and it says it's cleaned up - but you can also just close the
> window, and start a second copy, and all the time this is going on it's
> running as an NT service - a bit scary.
>
> We _think_ that when we have a debug window open we seem to have more
> problems !

If you are really getting 20 requests/second, that means you have to
have
< 50ms response times. The video display of debug mode probably adds
30ms
latency at minimum to each request, depending on the level of debug.
You
should always stop the service before running RadiusNT in debug mode and
only run one copy of RadiusNT. If you are not watching the debug,
minimize
the window, and the response time will be pretty close to when RadiusNT
is
running as a service.