[RadiusNT] Re: Corrupted Database

Edsonet ( administrator@yellowhead.com )
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:49:22 -0700

For those that are interested, it turned out to be a bad network card. This
same machine would spit out the odd improperly formatted page to a network
printer, and the server was reporting "The server received an improperly
formatted request from \\Comptrol2" about once every 2 days.

I personally have never encountered a networking problem quite like this
one, in that it happens so infrequently and results in data corruption with
no error reported. The card is a Realtek PCI-Bus from CE. We only have 2 of
these (1 now), but we have had good success with their ISA NIC's.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro
****************** REPLY SEPARATER ********************
>Subject: Re: [RadiusNT] Corrupted Database Problems
>From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
>Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:32:48 -0800
>
>Edsonet wrote:
>>This may be more of an Access problem than RadiusNT, but hopefully someone
>>has experienced this problem before, and can give me a clue where to start
>>looking.
>>
>>We are running RadiusNT 2.5 (1.24) using ODBC. We have our own accounting
>>system residing on a different server. All interactions with the
>>Radius97.mdb file use structured queries.
>>
>>Every once in a while, the MasterAccounts table becomes corrupted and
>>unrepairable. A block of about 20 accounts becomes totally unreadable with
>>a wild looking series of CustomerID numbers, and of course any active
>>accounts within that block cannot be authenticated. Access97 is not able to
>>repair it. I have to create a new table replacing the corrupted section
>>from a backup file, and then replace the corrupted table with the newly
>>created one. There are only 3 computers that have access to the Radius97
>>database. The source of the problem appears to be one particular computer
>>on our network (connected via a firewall router), but of course I can't
>>confirm that because we don't know exactly when the problem occurs.
>>Coincidently, that computer is also the one that accesses the database most
>>frequently.
>>
>>Any and all ideas would be appreciated, because I don't have a clue where
>>to start looking.
>>
>>J.A Coutts
>>Systems Engineer
>>Edsonet/TravPro
>For many reasons like this, I use MS SQL Server ratehr than access.
>I've always ran into problems with multi-computer connections to a
>single MS Access database eventually causing corruption issues.
>
>--
>
>Dale E. Reed Jr. Emerald and RadiusNT
>IEA Software, Inc. www.iea-software.com

For more information about this list, including removal, please
see this URL: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html