Re: [Emerald] SQL Server not fast enhough??? BIG Connection Problems

Peter Deacon ( peterd@iea-software.com )
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:17:32 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Ken wrote:

> I have about 350 phone lines all connecting to various ascend max 4048
> They authenticate against a NT Server SQL emerald database.
> the server is a PII 450 with 384MB RAM I have it configured to use 160
> MB Ram for SQL server.
> I am also running radius NT on the same machine. are there any other
> settings for SQL server that could help?
> the user dials in connects and on verifying username and password
> drops. this only happens alot during peek times.
> do I need to change the temp database?

Have you tried dialing in via a term client? Run the radlogin test
utility to see what kind of response times your getting from radius.
Put radius in debug mode and see if your test logins (from the NAS) are
making it to the radius server.

There are other possibilities ... your peek times are also most others. It
could have something to do with the phone system and compatibility
problems negotiating a reasonable connection for current line conditions.

Just because a modem successfully handshakes doesen't nessessarily mean
a useable connection was established.

Check your radius logs for line noise...etc in the login and data fields.
The absence of such things in RadLogs can't prove much.

Have Fun!
Peter