Re: [Emerald] Can't trim calls

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:19:47 -0700

"David V. Brenner" wrote:

> > Delete From Calls
> > Where CallDate < '5/2/99'
>
> I see. Start with a day's worth and work it from there.

Yes. The idea is to not bite off more than SQL Server can chew. :)

> > Thats only relevant to your server. We have customers that routinely
> > have
> > between 10 and 20 MILLION call records in their calls table. They
> > process
> > about 4 million a month and keep about 5 months of calls.
>
> Granted, this is not the world's fastest box, but it is a PII 350 with 256
> megs of RAM and an Ultra DMA (33) disk. Would this be considered a
> "lightweight" for 1500 MBRs?

How much memory do you have configured for SQL server? IDE Hard
drives are probably not a could think for a multi-tasking SQL Server. :(
I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, though.

> It sounds like Emerald would just love to have a gig of RAM and 2 or 3
> 500MHz CPUs to chomp on as well as a SCSI array of some sort. However, I
> think that I might have some trouble convincing the boss to splurge. If we
> need to upgrade, can you make some recommendations about hardware (i.e., how
> much RAM, CPU, etc.)? We're willing to give the thing some more horsepower
> if it needs it, but we don't want to invest more than we have to.

I would just recommend more ram. Up to 512 and give SQL Server like
400mb
of that with a 48mb tempdb in ram. Or just upgrade to SQL 7. :)