Re: [Emerald] Can't trim calls

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:11:55 -0700

"David V. Brenner" wrote:

> > How much memory do you have configured for SQL server? IDE Hard
> > drives are probably not a could think for a multi-tasking SQL Server. :(
> > I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, though.
>
> Good question. Sheryl did a little tweaking on it a while back, but we have
> since doubled the amount of RAM in the machine to 256.
>
> Looks like it's at 32M/10M right now. Until we can upgrade it, how about
> 128M dedicated to SQL with a 32M tempdb in RAM. That should leave NT with
> enough for itself, no?

That sounds good. You have to remember that SQL 6.5 requires manually
configuring the RAM, which means anytime you add ram, you have to change
the setting and restart it. Otherwise, the addition of the RAM doesn't
help any. You should see quite a bit of difference between 32 and 128MB
of ram for SQL Server.

> > I would just recommend more ram. Up to 512 and give SQL Server like
> > 400mb
> > of that with a 48mb tempdb in ram. Or just upgrade to SQL 7. :)
>
> ::calculating::
>
> That's not too bad. The RAM, that is. Cheaper than SQL 7.

SQL 7 will give you the better performance for the buck, though. :)