Re: [Emerald] Running Emerald Client from a File Server

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 10:03:39 -0700

Nathan Haywood wrote:

> Is there any problem running the entire Emerald client from a mapped
> drive under Windows 95/98/NT? We have quite a few stations that are
> running Emerald and, until our SMS packages are ready, it's a bit of a
> hassle to keep updating all of them. Dale, or anyone else, should this
> work:
>
> 1. Install Emerald client machine FileServ to C:\Program Files\Emerald.
> 2. Share C:\Program Files\Emerald out as 'Emerald'
> 3. Install MDAC 2.1 (provides SQL libraries) on all the client machines
> 4. Map \\FileServ\Emerald to I: on the clients
> 5. Make icons to I:\Emerald.exe to execute the program.
>
> Are there any files that actually have to go into the %WINDOWS% or
> %WINSYS% directories?

Yes, there are several. The easiest thing to do is install Emerald
locally on each machine, then just delete the directory after the
install and then run everything from the file server.