Re: [Emerald] OT - Unix to SQL 6.5 link

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:00:55 -0700

Duane Schaub wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get a Unix box to see an SQL server. There are
> some ODBC shims available, but I would like to be able to just use the TCP
> connection the same way as a remote Win box or the SQL Enterp. Mgr....
>
> Has anyone seen a protocol spec for the TCP connection to Micro$oft SQL
> 6.5? Where?

The openlink SHIM is the best that I have seen, although it does
require a broker service.

MS SQL Server uses the same transports that Sybase uses (since SQL
Server is a derivitive of an earlier Sybase version). Sybase is
about to release the full TDS spec, which should work with SQL
Server as well. There are some Perl DBLib connectors that allow
Perl to talk to Sybase/SQL Server as well (although they may
require the CTLIB connector).