Re: [Emerald] Remote Acess

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 17 May 1999 22:35:00 -500

>Hi,
>
>It is if you need to access the network domain controller for mapping unc
>paths. The client has to use either WINS or LMHOSTS to identify other
>computers on the network in order to map drives unless you use the form of

>\\10.1.0.10\sharename .

If your client computer has an IP address in the same subnet as the domain controler(s),
then you do not need to deal with WINS or LMHosts. I've never dealt with either
one of them on any server or client in our network and yet I access our network
resources every day from home via dialup via standard UNC, Network Neighborhood,
etc. The IP that I have assigned to me is simply in the same subnet. If the
IP were in a different subnet, I'd either have to access resources using IPs
in place of the servername, or mess around with WINS or LMHosts. The fact that
it's a dial-up connection is actually irrelavant. This can be done via any
type of connection so long as there aren't restrictions set forth by firewalls,
filters, etc.

Josh