Re: [Emerald] Defining Backup devices

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Thu, 6 May 1999 10:55:58 -0400

If I understand what I read below correctly, would it be accurate to =
assume that I could correct an error like this: =20

Allocation Discrepancy: Page is allocated but not linked; check the =
following pages and ids: allocation pg#=3D51712 extent id=3D51912 =
logical pg#=3D51916 object id on extent=3D1545056540 (object name =3D =
Calls) indid on extent=3D0 =20
(the result of a DBCC NEWALLOC statement)

by transferring my Emerald database to another server, performing a =
dump of the transferred database, and then restoring the dump to the =
original database?=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale E. Reed Jr. <>
To: <>
Date: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Emerald] Defining Backup devices

Bernard Andrys wrote:
> What about using the Transfer feature of SQL Enterprise Manager? We =
have a
> scheduled transfer from our primary to backup SQL each night. Are =
> problems with this that you ran into that made you use a =
> method?

Thats acceptable, just really slow. I can do a dump/copy/restore in
a couple of minutes for a 500mb database. It usually takes 30+ minutes
to do that with SQL Transfer.

I will note SQL Tranfers copies the data and structure only. This
can be a good thing if your source SQL Server has a page problem,=20
as the page problem will be included in the dump/restore.

Dale E. Reed Jr. Emerald and RadiusNT
IEA Software, Inc.