Re: [Emerald] Defining Backup devices

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 05 May 1999 11:39:54 -0700

Bernard Andrys wrote:

> What about using the Transfer feature of SQL Enterprise Manager? We have a
> scheduled transfer from our primary to backup SQL each night. Are there
> problems with this that you ran into that made you use a dump/copy/restore
> method?

Thats acceptable, just really slow. I can do a dump/copy/restore in
a couple of minutes for a 500mb database. It usually takes 30+ minutes
to do that with SQL Transfer.

I will note SQL Tranfers copies the data and structure only. This
can be a good thing if your source SQL Server has a page problem,
as the page problem will be included in the dump/restore.