Re: [Emerald] Defining Backup devices

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 05 May 1999 11:03:28 -0700

Kelly Wright wrote:

> How do define a backup device to anyother drive on another server? I want
> our Emerald db to backup everynight to another machines drive.

You can't. SQL Server can only backup to a local drive. What I used
to do to work around this was I would have two tasks. The first would
dump the Emerald database on a nightly basis to a dump device, and
about 1/2 hour later, a second task would copy the file over to
another machine. I also had a task that ran about 1/2 hour after that
that would restore the dump on the second machine to an Emerald database
on it. You could theoretically do this several times a day to
have a fairly recent backup machine.